Select To Get Started:
CLICK HERE to complete an application!

General Enrollment Information:

Welcome to the New Hanover County Schools Online Application for Student Enrollment!

The information reported in this packet will become part of your child's cumulative school record. Student record information will not be released to third parties or used for purposes other than routine daily and/or emergency contact needs without the knowledge or permission of parents, legal guardians, or students who have passed their eighteenth birthday, except in accordance with the law.

Only a parent or legal guardian may enroll a student in New Hanover County Schools. Proof of Guardianship can include a birth certificate, divorce papers, Social Services paperwork, or paperwork signed by a judge awarding custody.

Remember to inform school staff of any special needs your student may have (504 Plan, IEP, AIG, special health care needs, special education, etc.)

All applications will be processed electronically and checked for accuracy. Any falsification of information may result in your application not being processed and/or denied.

*Please also note that this website is optimized for IE 10.0 and higher, Safari, Chrome, Edge and Firefox.


How to Videos:

Back to district website

New Hanover County Schools Online Student Enrollment Information:

We would like to welcome you and your student(s) to New Hanover County Schools! In addition to completing the appropriate new enrollment application form online, please read through the information below to identify the supplemental enrollment documents to ensure prompt registration of your student(s).

  • Proof of parent or legal guardian domicile in New Hanover County
  • Certified birth certificate or other acceptable proof of age
  • Up-to-date immunization record
  • NC health assessment
  • Safe schools affidavit (grades 1-12)
  • Parent or legal guardian photo identification
  • Custody agreement

As a school system, we recognize that each child is a unique individual. The information you provide to us is important in helping us fully understand your child’s strengths and needs. Thank you for allowing us this opportunity.

If you need any help with the registration process, please contact the school, the data manager or registrar will be glad to assist you!

Supplemental Enrollment Documents:

Supplemental documentation is due at the time of enrollment. If you have difficulty providing or uploading any documentation or have questions about registration or acceptable forms of documentation, please contact the zoned school for your residential district or the New Hanover County Schools Enrollment Office at 910.251.2929.

  • Proof of parent or legal guardian domicile in New Hanover County. Domicile is determined by the parent or legal guardian. Only students who physically reside within the boundaries of New Hanover County, and non-residents who have obtained approval from the New Hanover County School Board, may attend. Documentation must be in the name of the parent or legal guardian.* Proof of domicile is required and accepted items include:
    • Current residential property tax statement
    • Current residential property deed
    • Current residential mortgage statement
    • Current residential lease or rental agreement
    • Current residential homeowners or rental insurance policy
    • Current utility bill for service at the domicile of record dated within the last 30 days (such as Duke Energy or Cape Fear Public Utility Authority). A utility bill may also be required to verify a month-to-month lease or rental agreement.

Routine mail delivered by the United States Postal Service to the address of record and items such as pay stubs or bank or credit card statements are not accepted as proof of domicile. The above-listed items for a business, commercial, or non-residential address cannot be accepted for school assignment.

The McKinney-Vento Act defines homeless children and youth as individuals who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence. This definition specifically includes children and youth living in emergency shelters, motels, hotels, campgrounds, cars, public spaces or abandoned buildings; and children and youth who are sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason. If you believe your situation would qualify for McKinney-Vento services, please contact the social worker at the school of registration or the county McKinney-Vento liaison at 910.254.4177.

*In the event the parent/legal guardian resides with another party and does not have an accepted form of proof of domicile in their name, and does not qualify for McKinney Vento, a notarized residency affidavit may be used with the residence provider submitting one of the above-noted items. This document must be notarized.+ You can find a copy of the form HERE. Spanish version available HERE.

  • Certified birth certificate or other acceptable document for proof of age is required. Certified birth certificates may be obtained by writing the North Carolina Vital Records, 1903 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-1900, by calling 919.733.3000, or by visiting the Vital Records (appointments required) at Cooper Memorial Health Building, 225 North McDowell Street, Raleigh, NC 27603-1382. They may also be obtained from the Register of Deeds office in the county of the child’s birth.
  • Up-to-Date Immunization Records. North Carolina state law requires all children in the state to receive certain immunizations. Please visit for current immunizations required for school enrollment. If your child is not immunized, please contact the nurse at the school of registration. By state law, the immunization record must be presented within 30 days of enrollment or the student shall be excluded from school until proof is presented.
  • NC Health Assessment. The NC Health Assessment form (specific document) is due the first day of school and must be signed by a licensed healthcare provider. This is required when a student enters Kindergarten or the first time a student is enrolled in a North Carolina public school in any grade. By state law, the health assessment must be presented within 30 days of enrollment or the student shall be excluded from school until proof is presented. You can find a copy of the form HERE. Spanish version available HERE.

Immunizations and health assessments can be obtained from a family physician or clinics conducted by the New Hanover County Health Department. Be sure to contact your family physician or the Health Department at 910.798.6500 to schedule appointments for physicals and immunizations as soon as possible, if needed.

  • Safe Schools Affidavit (grades 1-12). This document is required for any student who has attended either a public or private school in this or any other state. By state law, this is required before the student can begin school and must be notarized.+ You can find a copy of the form HERE. Spanish version available HERE.
  • Parent or legal guardian photo identification, if available. Documents can include driver’s license, passport, green card, embassy or consulate-issued identification, national identity card (such as Cedula de identidad, Tarjeta de identidad), state identification, military ID, or Faith ID card.
  • Custody documentation, if applicable. Please note, New Hanover County Schools cannot recognize notarized documents as proof of guardianship or custody and can only accept either a court order signed by a judge or a placement letter from the Department of Social Services/Department of Health & Human Services. For those families with unique guardianship circumstances, please contact the school of registration.

+For notarized documents such as the Safe Schools Affidavit or a Residency Affidavit, families may choose to print the forms to be notarized by an outside source such as at your local bank or town hall or make arrangements with the school to have forms notarized on campus. Families must provide the schools with paper copies of notarized documents.

For More Information, Contact:

New Hanover County Schools
6410 Carolina Beach Road
Wilmington, NC 28412

Phone: (910) 254-4200



For Technical Support Contact:

Scribbles Software

Business Hours
Monday - Friday
8:00 AM - 3:00 PM